Welcome to my Gardening Blog.

In October of 2012 I moved from Anaheim CA to the Mojave Desert. So the older posts will reflect my gardening before the move, and my newer ones are after the move. Now that I have a huge yard and sandy soil (the opposite of what I had in Anaheim), I have to learn how to adapt.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

volunteers

We've had a bit of a heat wave so I took advantage of it today to dig up some volunteers in my garden. I had 2 palm trees to relocate. I couldn't dig one of them up because I didn't want to damage the gourd vines. So today I got that one potted and stuck it in the front yard. Then I dug out another one growing flush with a brick wall. I couldn't save it, but I had no where to put it anyway. I'll probably give the potted one away to the first person who says, "I sure wish I had a palm tree."
When I was scooping potting soil into the pot, I found 3 giant white grubby insects. Although they'd probably be considered a delicacy to an Aborigine, I put them in the dumbster as quick as I could. I have a feeling there are more in the potting soil, so I'm strickly sticking to using a trowel to scoop with.
I also found more snails behind the plants I relocated. Escargot anyone?

No comments: