Welcome to my Gardening Blog.

In October of 2012 I moved from Anaheim CA to the Mojave Desert. So the older posts will reflect my gardening before the move, and my newer ones are after the move. Now that I have a huge yard and sandy soil (the opposite of what I had in Anaheim), I have to learn how to adapt.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Beets & succulents

Yay my beets sprouted! I counted about 20 seedlings. And I also remembered a tip for thinning. Don't pull them; clip them off with a pair of scissors. That way you don't disturb the roots or pull out more than you mean to. I should plant some lettuce, onion sets, and radishes soon.

After a week of unusually hot weather, we are back to sweater weather. We got some rain last weekend so I haven't had to water at least.

The donkey tail and epiphyllum I brought over from Nadine's old house have adjusted to growing in my back yard. After carrying for them so tenderly, I found out my boyfriend never cared for those plants anyway. But I love succulents, and always wanted a decent donkey tail plant. Everyone had them when I was a kid but ours never did well. I knocked a lot of 'beads' off this one when I moved it, but at least it's growing and looking healthy. I never thought to ask how old the plant was.

No comments: