Welcome to my Gardening Blog.

In October of 2012 I moved from Anaheim CA to the Mojave Desert. So the older posts will reflect my gardening before the move, and my newer ones are after the move. Now that I have a huge yard and sandy soil (the opposite of what I had in Anaheim), I have to learn how to adapt.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Orchestrating a Garden

While planting seeds today I suddenly realized that it's like an orchestra. Even if I plant a bunch of different things all on the same morning, they will each play their individual notes when it is their turn to join in; whether its a month or a year.

I also figured out a way to make free durable plant tags. I had a pile of empty potting soil bags. By cutting the white bags into strips I was able to write the names and dates planted on each tag with a permanent marker and tie them to the fence or a stake.

Today I planted dill, more sunflowers and big max pumpkins on the west fence behind the bathroom window, so I have something beautiful to look at. I planted the pumpkins far far from the gourds so they won't cross pollinate. Which reminds me; I think the cucumbers will also cross pollinate, so I guess I can't put them where I'd originally planned to, since there are already gourds there. This is the first time in 20 years that I've had a big enough yard to grow pumpkins.  I grew gourds one time in Anaheim and the little suckers buried my patio with their sprawling vines.

In the front yard I planted Kentucky Pole Beans, rudebekia, and statice. I saved a spot for morning glories, but I keep forgetting to soak them overnight. The other beans are also supposed to be soaked, so I'll do that tonight too.

Yesterday I replaced the pepper plant that got eaten, bringing the total back up to two pepper plants. This morning the first one I planted had been eaten in half! ACK! So now the new one and what is left of the original one have soda bottles over them to protect them. My best guess is grasshoppers. They are suddenly everywhere. And since this is an organic garden, there is only so much I can do. Thankfully they don't seem to like tomato plants.

I have a volunteer in the front yard that looks like a sunflower. I'll leave it be and see how that goes. When we moved here there was a devil's claw plant by the back fence. So I started watering that spot hoping more will grow as they have interesting seed pods that are useful to artists.

The native plant by the mailbox is covered in dainty yellow flowers as well. And the creosote bushes are covered in yellow flowers and bees galore. The air is buzzing so loud I can hear it indoors.

I have more to plant, but its getting hot and I need breakfast and it's already 10 AM. 

Creosote in bloom.

No comments: